Photography

28. Attach a small photograph of something important to you and explain its significance. (Stanford)



It is not what is in the picture, but the picture itself that is very important to me. It is significant because this was the first time that I took a picture and was proud of the turnout. This was soon after I had been given a camera for my birthday. My father noticed that I had gained a certain interest in photography, as I often asked to borrow his camera. Seeing this, he decided to encourage my inclination towards photography by gifting me one. This shot was taken while I was still in the experimental stage with my camera. I had no idea what I was doing or what I was trying to do. I was just playing around with different features and trying to understand how they worked.

This picture is more significant than others because this was the time I started believing in myself as a photographer. I had discovered a while (more than 2 years) ago that I was interested in the art but had never been under the illusion that I was any good. This picture isn’t much either but it was one of my best captures until then. Post clicking this shot is when I started taking photography seriously, when I started carrying my camera everywhere I went, but most importantly, it was when I started showing other people the work I did. This snap gave me the confidence to believe that I had potential. The realization of which encouraged me to share my photographs with the world. To get feedback, criticism, or even appreciation that could help me build on this potential.
Switching to Woodstock School, I was very keen on joining the photography club, but was ashamed to do so with the tiny Fujifilm camera I had. Noticing this, my father decided to give me his camera, a Sony Cyber Shot DSC H1. It isn’t much compared to the other cameras I have seen around school, but it was a considerable upgrade from the one I previously had. It was also an honor to be allowed to use his camera, as my father was very possessive about it. The camera had great sentimental value as well because it was the same one I used to ask him for when I did not have a camera of my own. If it wasn’t for that picture, I probably would not own the camera I first dreamt of having.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running Away

A New Leaf, A New Life