Special Significance

127. Describe a daily routine or tradition of yours that may seem ordinary to others but holds special meaning for you. Why is this practice significant to you? (Barnard)



Everyone has a routine that is more significant to them than it is to others. It could be something small like looking at their reflection in a mirror for confidence, or something as lengthy as an hour-long exercise routine. For me, it is to take a walk. No matter how long or short, walking someplace alone gives me peace of mind. I inevitably end up listening to music and if I don’t have access to any, then I sing. It can be a short walk down the hill, or a long walk all the way up the hill and further on, to the bazaar. Ever since moving to Woodstock School, Mussoorie, I have noticed that a lot of people take walking for granted as they do it so often. Even though it may tire me out, it gives me a chance to let my thoughts flow through uninterrupted. Sometimes we just need to slow down in life and reflect. With schedules as busy as the ones at Woodstock, one rarely gets such a chance and something as short as a 4 minute walk down the hill is more than enough to time to give you that chance of a peaceful moment.

There are many things you miss and just pass by while in a vehicle. For me, the best part about walking is being able to experience and see various things going on at the same time, in one place. The freedom to control my own pace, to slow down when I please and walk by, ignoring what I wish to, to be able capture a picture with no trouble caused by motion blur. These are not always easy to control when in a car. Besides, traveling by car just puts us back into the hurrying routine one needs a break from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running Away

A New Leaf, A New Life